There are 9 different units of learning outcomes, covering 9 major activities of the earth construction sector. These activities can either be seen
- as different tasks that occur during an earth building project, and that one or different persons will realise
- or as economic activities on their own, one of which a specific company may focus on (for example only production of earth building materials or only decorative plasters)
Each unit has been described as a list of knowledge, skills and competence (level of autonomy and responsibility), for different 5 different levels. Therefor the list of all the units forms a matrix.
Current limits of the matrix:
- Built elements of light clay and wattle and daub are not yet integrated in this matrix.
- The knowledge, skills and competence of levels 6 and 7 (engineers and architects) have not been described yet either.
- Unit for Interior design D and Decorative techniques O mainly apply to clay plaster, even if there are many creative possibilities in building also.
- Unit formwork F has been developed mainly based on rammed earth, but is meant to be extended to also apply to cob and light clay.
- Unit production P refers to bricks and small blocs mainly, but it could easily be extended to include production lines for prefabricated rammed earth or cob, as well as for panels.